- Print out the readings and handouts and create a binder or folder to keep all of your materials together in one place.
- Watch for a packet of supplies in the mail the week of our first session.
- Read the first 4 chapters of Sacred is the Call and journal your responses to For Further Reflection at the end of each chapter.
- Read the article What to Expect in Christian Spiritual Direction by Thomas Hart and journal your responses to these questions:
- What stands out for me in this article?
- How has my experience of Spiritual Direction been similar or different from this article?
- What might be my growing edge as a Spiritual Director in the light of this article?
- Review the Contemplative Listening Group Model (below)
For the journaling assignments you will be using the journal that you purchased specifically for Art & Practice. You will use your journal to record your learnings from all the formation elements including: readings, lectures, session experiences, spiritual direction, and supervision. You will then use your journal entries to integrate your learnings as you write your reflection papers that are required after each session. We ask that this journal not be electronic. In many situations it will be inappropriate to record your learnings by pulling out an electronic device. Your journal entries need not be long but just enough to help you reflect when you review them.
- Purchase a special candle for all of our gatherings.
- Purchase a designated journal for Art and Practice.
- Pen and notebook.
- A container of water and paper towel.
Your packet will include:
- Watercolor pencils, a paintbrush, and watercolor paper. You may supplement the art supplies as you wish.
Each title is a clickable link.
All items market with * have been mailed to you in a packet.
- Contemplative Listening Group Model
- Sacred is the Call – Chapters 1-4
- * What to Expect in Christian Spiritual Direction by Thomas Hart
- * Hidden in the Heart of Things – Prayer Card
- * Patient Trust – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, SJ
- * Rilke et al Prayers
- * Be Patient- Rainer Maria Rilke
- Sacred Is The Call Sheet Music