Write reflection paper.
- Reflection paper due October 21
- What did you learn about your own culture as we looked at other cultures and the margins?
- What new understanding about other cultures is most prominent for you? Most challenging?
- What are the implications of these learnings and understandings for you as a spiritual director?
- Mentor group meeting with Quads – be prepared to spend a few minutes checking-in about how you are coming along with your presentation for November.
- Meet with your supervisor
- Meet with your spiritual director
- Meet with your directees
This month each of you will work independently to help explore this month’s theme and share your experience and deep interest in an area of spirituality that is meaningful for you.
Download and Read:
Choose a book from your area of interest:
Suggested Titles for Special Topics in Spiritual Direction
Each intern will choose one book of interest to read for November and present their reflections to their Mentor Group
- Kaleidoscope: Broadening the Palette in the Art of Spiritual Direction – Ineda P Adesanya, editor
- Crossing to Avalon: A Woman’s Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine – Jean Shinoda Bolen M.D.
- A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek – Annie Dillard
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants – Robin Wall Kimmerer
- On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity, and Getting Old – Parker Palmer
- Soul Care in African American Practice – Barbara L. Peacock
- Howard Thurman Essential Writings – Howard Thurman
- Spirituality a Very Short Introduction: Exploring the Historical Foundations of Spirituality in the Major World Religions – Philip Sheldrake
- Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others – Barbara Brown Taylor
- Or, other book of choice (approved by Mentor)
PRESENTATIONS – You will give your presentation to your own mentor group on Saturday, November 13.
- Why did you choose this area of interest?
- What are you noticing about your response to the book?
- How are you challenged by the book?
- How does this area of spirituality connect to the Sisters of Mercy Critical Concerns?
- What is emerging in your spiritual journey right now?
- How do the ideas from the book add to your understanding of companioning another in spiritual direction?
Prepare a brief 5-10 minute presentation about your book and your responses to the reflection questions. You may give your presentation as a speech/spoken, with PowerPoint, art, or media of choice to share with your mentor group during our next session.